Finding Aid for Hall of Architecture Archive

Finding Aid for Inventory to the Collections of Architecture, Sculpture, and Bronze Halls

Unit ID:
ha001
Date:
1895-1947 [bulk 1903-1907]

Description

The records contained herein represent the acquisition and collection of plaster casts by the Carnegie Museum to fill the new Architecture and Sculpture Halls, dedicated in 1907. The papers, photographs, lists, printed materials and other documents in this record group are the result of John W. Beatty, Director of Fine Arts, Carnegie Museum, 1896-1922. The majority of the correspondence is addressed to or from him. Many of the lists compiled and photographs received were also at his direction. Some other materials, such as the H. L. Warren catalog, did not originate with Mr. Beatty.

The dates of the collection stretch from 1895 to 1947, however, the bulk of the material dates from 1903 to 1907. Included among the correspondents are A. Rodin and Augustus Saint-Gaudens.

Inventory